Sunday, December 18, 2011

Debating and Dawah

One day, Imam Abu Hanifah came across his son Hammad debating with someone. After he had finished, Imam Abu Hanifah approached his son and informed him that it was not permissible to debate. Hammad was very surprised and asked his father:“I see you every day debating with non-Muslims. If it is not allowed why do you do it?” His father replied: “There is a difference between the way I debate and the way you do. The way I debate is permissible because my intention is to please Allah and convey the true message, not to please myself. When I saw you debating, you were not delivering the message but were trying to win the argument. You were pleasing yourself and not Allah Ta’la. When I am debating, I do not make eye contact with the person, since if the person is struggling to provide answers to my questions, I do not want them to feel any shame as this might be a barrier to them taking in the message.” (Preface of The Hidaya, by Mulla Ali Qari)

No comments:

Post a Comment